Monday, October 06, 2008

He finished

Yesterday morning Mel ran his second marathon. He was up and out of the house around 5:00 am so he could stretch, sit in the hot tub and have breakfast before heading to the race. During that time I lay in my warm, cozy bed and listened to the rain coming down outside. I was thinking, "man, he has dedication." I would've taken one look at the weather outside and said "Forget it, I'll skip this race." It was about 45 degrees and wet. Horrible conditions for a marathon. So I lay there feeling very proud of my husband; for all the hard work he's put into his training, for his competitive nature, for all his early morning runs, for enduring miserable conditions and for never quitting.

He didn't need to finish today's race for me to be proud of him, but he did. Even though he was hurt around mile 20 and spent thirty minutes in the medical tent. His right Iliotibial band (connective tissue from the hip to knee) was so tight and inflamed it was cutting off circulation to his foot. He could barely lift his right leg. The doctor and PT advised him to quit the race so he didn't do further damage, but quitting isn't in Mel's vocabulary so he walked/ran/limped the last six miles to finish. I'm very proud of him. Now I'm not saying it was smart for him to keep going on his injured leg, but I admire his determination and perseverance. He earned his medal.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea -

I'm very proud of uncle Mel as well :) Take care!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mel! Great job! What a HUGE accomplishment!

IrishMommy said...

Wow! You are amazing Mel, congratulations! Sounds very painful and by the photo, well you seem like your glad to be done.

Angela's Kitchen said...

Tim had trouble with the race, too, but not as bad as what you dealt with. I think the rain made it just brutal for the runners...

I am with you, Andrea. The same thoughts went through my head when I heard the rain while snuggled in my bed...

Way to go, Mel! I am so amazed at your perseverance! Heal up and take care... Tim had some Haagen-Dazs chocolate chocolate chip after the marathon, purely medicinal, of course! You might want to try it! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Wow Mel....nice job...you are TOUGH!!!

Anonymous said...

Andrea,
I recently found your site and wanted to tell you how much we feel your pain. Our son Luca passed away from a form of Skeletal Dysplasia. It is one of the hardest things that you ever have to deal with. We have created The Luca John Foundation (www.lucajohnfoundation.org) to provide a place where families that lose an child to skeletal dysplasia can talk and share their stories. I would welcome you to post a story on our page.

I would like to speak with you as well to share our story.

Kevin