Monday, November 10, 2008

The flight

I have to say, flying with Jacob and Kyle this trip was a completely different experience since the last time we've flown. What a difference a year makes. Getting through security was actually a breeze. Jacob knew exactly what he needed to do and even helped Kyle with his shoes. Getting to our gate was easy with just a backpack, no stroller to push or car seat to lug. Kyle's old enough to walk from one end of the terminal to the other without lagging behind or getting lost in the crowd. On the plane, both boys sat still and kept themselves busy. Not so busy that I could sit back and take a nap, but it felt nice that I didn't have to keep telling them to stay in their seats or stop kicking the seat in front of them. Definitely a change from the last time we've flown.
Kyle had me laughing on the plane with the funny things he said. When we were waiting for the plane to take off from Minneapolis, Kyle kept asking if we were in the sky yet. Not just once, but repeatedly over and over and over. Mel and I kept telling him that if he still saw buildings and other planes that we were not in the sky yet and that he would know when the plane took off. Kyle continued to ask us anyway until he heard the engines rev and felt the force push him back in his seat. He sat there with the funniest look on his face, not really sure if taking off was what he wanted. When it was time to land we went through the whole thing all over again in reverse.

Kyle asked Mel what the words said on the back of the seat tray. Mel told him it said "no smoking" so Kyle thought that if you put the tray down it meant you were going to smoke. Every time Mel opened the tray, Kyle yelled, "Don't smoke, Dad!"
On the flight home Jacob asked Kyle if he saw the wing and his response was, "yes I saw the wing, but not the broken one."
About an hour into the flight out of the blue he looks at me and says, "Are we going backwards now?"
At one point I reminded Kyle to use his inside voice to which he replied , "I left it at the airport. It didn't get on the plane." So there you have it. Kyle's inside voice is still in Newark. It might be a while until we get it back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I love your Kyle stories!

Angela's Kitchen said...

Kyle is too, too funny! I bet UPS ships indoor voices...

Anonymous said...

We flew recently with our 2 year old for the first time...talk about stressful! But, he loved it and was pretty well behaved. I long for the day of not lugging a stroller and carseat!

Anonymous said...

Kyle is hilarious....love how his brain works!