We're still adjusting to the words and phrases people use in the south in addition to the accent. I completely embarrassed myself the other day at Starbucks when I ordered a "steamer, not to hot" for Kyle. As the barista is making it he asks, "do you want a keezs wahon?" (That's what it sounded like anyway.) I had to ask him to repeat himself three times before I realized he was saying with a thick southern accent, "a kid's one" referring to the temperature of the steamer. I apologized profusely for not understanding what he said. I'm sure he thought I was an idiot.
I'm not the only one struggling with understanding people. Jacob came in the house one day and asked me what a lave was. "A lave? Do you mean lathe?" I asked. "No,a lave", he said. "Michael's mom said he couldn't come out to play because they were fixing a lave". After pondering that one for a moment I turned to Jacob and said with a thick southern drawl, "Michael can't come out to play 'cause we're fixin' to leave." I'm sure Jacob wouldn't have been confused if she had said, we're getting ready to leave.
Fixin'
Not a word we use. But maybe we will if we stay here in the south long enough. Out of everyone in the family, Jacob has picked up an accent the most- especially words with a long O sound- phone, stone, cone. It's really funny to hear. He doesn't realize he's doing it, unless he sees us trying to hide our quiet snickers.
Mel's picked up a little accent too. Although his comes and goes depending on who he's talking to. If it's someone from the south, the accent is full on. (Melinda can attest to this. It's quite hilarious.) He says he's a chameleon blending in with his surroundings.
I met someone from the Midwest who's lived here for three years and I would've never guessed she was from somewhere else. She spoke like she had lived here all her life. Maybe that will be us. Right now I'm trying my best to not let my one syllable words drag in to two... or three.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hold onto those Midwestern long 'O's! How will you order tOast without them?
Missing you...
Post a Comment