On Tuesday, Jake came to me complaining that his elbow hurt. I didn't think much of it. I took a quick look but it wasn't swollen and he could bend his arm so I tell him to take it easy and rest it. Wednesday morning I notice his elbow is swollen but he says it doesn't hurt anymore. It looks like he has 1 or 2 mosquito bites so if figure it's from that. Kyle gets big welts and swelling from mosquito bites so I figure that's what it is. I give him Benedryl and decide to watch it.
Wednesday afternoon
By the afternoon his elbow looks much more swollen, red and hot to the touch so I decide to take him in to the doctor.
Jacob is a real trooper with doctor visits. He always does what he's suppose to and he's usually not nervous or scared. However the doctor we saw yesterday had terrible bedside manner and when he examines Jacob's arm he starts saying things like, "when the insect bites... poison enters the skin... severe edema...damaging the tissue... you have to move quickly to treat it..."
Jacob looks at me to see my reaction. I must have looked worried because then Jacob says, "I need water. My throat is so dry. It's hard to breathe." I ask him if he's nervous and he says yes. I tell him he's okay and that that he's getting medicine to make it all better and he seems to calm down.
Wednesday night

Later in the evening at home I tell him that sometimes when we get really nervous or scared, our bodies react similar to what happened to him at the doctor's office. He tells me he got really scared when he heard the doctor say poison and prayed over and over to God, "Please don't let me die, please don't let me die."
It broke my heart to hear that. I had no idea he was that scared. Bless his heart.
Thankfully this morning his arm looks a little less swollen. Hopefully he's on the mend.
Wednesday afternoon
By the afternoon his elbow looks much more swollen, red and hot to the touch so I decide to take him in to the doctor.Jacob is a real trooper with doctor visits. He always does what he's suppose to and he's usually not nervous or scared. However the doctor we saw yesterday had terrible bedside manner and when he examines Jacob's arm he starts saying things like, "when the insect bites... poison enters the skin... severe edema...damaging the tissue... you have to move quickly to treat it..."
Jacob looks at me to see my reaction. I must have looked worried because then Jacob says, "I need water. My throat is so dry. It's hard to breathe." I ask him if he's nervous and he says yes. I tell him he's okay and that that he's getting medicine to make it all better and he seems to calm down.
Wednesday night
Later in the evening at home I tell him that sometimes when we get really nervous or scared, our bodies react similar to what happened to him at the doctor's office. He tells me he got really scared when he heard the doctor say poison and prayed over and over to God, "Please don't let me die, please don't let me die."
It broke my heart to hear that. I had no idea he was that scared. Bless his heart.
Thankfully this morning his arm looks a little less swollen. Hopefully he's on the mend.
**Updated 4/10**
From what I understand, the bite itself is not what the antibiotics are treating. Apparently the infections is a staph infection caused by staph bacteria entering the skin at the point of the bug bite. Staph naturally occurs on our skin but it doesn't cause any problems unless it finds a way into our bodies.
Staph can spread quickly which is why the doctor wanted to act quickly with the antibiotics and Motrin.
Jake's arm looks almost back to normal and he has seven more days of antibiotics to finish to make sure the infection is completely gone.

No comments:
Post a Comment