Friday, February 01, 2008

Mixed emotions

When we first shared the news of a new baby to Jacob, we weren't prepared for his reaction. He cried. He said, "I don't want another baby." He bawled. He buried his head in the pillow on the couch and cried some more. I was totally shocked and devastated at his reaction and I felt like the worst mom in the world. How dare we shake up my son's world like this? The drama lasted a little while and then Mel took the boys to the health club. When they got home Jacob was quiet but he did give me a hug and said he loved me.
The following day we talked about it. I asked Jacob if he was okay about the baby. He said that yes he wanted a sister or brother, but that he was nervous. He said he didn't want the baby in his stuff and he didn't want to have to pick up after the baby. He also expressed that he was afraid that dad and I would have to spend all our time taking care of the baby. I told him I was nervous too and that yes, taking care of the baby is a lot of work, but that dad and I would still spend lots of time with him and Kyle. I said, "when the baby comes, it's going to be..." He finished my sentence by saying, "CRAZY!"
I totally agree, but we're excited. I'm so thankful that Jacob can communicate his feelings. I think it's pretty good for a six year old. Hopefully when he's a grown man with a wife and children, he'll still be able to express himself as well. What a blessing that would be to his wife.

On the other hand, Kyle is excited for the baby. I don't think he totally understands it all and little does he know just how CRAZY our house is going to be when we bring the baby home. He keeps calling the baby "my baby" and has come up with a few names for his baby: hotdog, boy, and strawberry. Unfortunately, I don't think any of those names will be making our list.

1 comment:

Undomestic said...

And what if it's a girl? You could really make a statement against the gender roles that society imposes by naming her "boy". Ha ha ha ha ha!