I've been struggling this past week or two with finding balance between taking care of the house, taking care of the kids, making time for Mel, and taking time for myself. I guess I'd been slacking off a little during the first trimester of pregnancy when I wasn't feeling so well, but now that I feel better I need to get a better hold on my responsibilities. Some days though, it's down right exhausting and I look forward to the time when my head hits the pillow. I mentioned this to my friends yesterday at my Mom's (Spiritual) Spa. Actually, it was my prayer request.
God works fast sometimes. Last night as I was watching Celebrity Apprentice, Trace Adkins sang his new hit single live during the show and the lyrics really hit me. The ironic thing is I don't listen to country music so I wouldn't have heard this song if a.) I hadn't been watching Apprentice all season and b.) Trace Adkins wasn't a finalist.
Here's a link to watch the video. If you can't stand country music and don't want to watch the video, here are some of the lyrics below.
You're Gonna Miss This
You're gonna miss this.
You're gonna want this back.
You're gonna wish these days,
Hadn't gone by so fast.
These are some good times.
So take a good look around.
You may not know it now,
But you're gonna miss this.
If that wasn't enough of a message for me, today at the grocery store a stranger pointed it out to me again. As I was bagging my groceries, a woman probably in her fifties was making small talk with me. She asked me how old Kyle was and commented about how cute he was. Then she said, "Cherish these years. It's not always easy, but they grow up so fast."
I've heard many people say similar things, but the timing of this comment was just perfect and I know it wasn't coincidence.
I realize I can't take this time for granted. I need to enjoy each day even if the house is a mess and the laundry's piling up. I have to let go of tomorrow, or next week or next year. I have to find the joy in the everyday chaos of life with small children. If the phone is ringing and Kyle's whining for milk and Jacob's late for school and the house is a disaster, I'm going to miss it someday, right?
Friday, March 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wow! And I know God wanted you to share your feelings...this is just what I needed to hear this morning. Thanks for posting the video too...I cried!!
These times are definitely demanding is so many ways...but also SOOO rewarding.
I am learning to let the house and toys go a bit to play.
Amazing song. I know I wish I could rewind with my kiddos and go back when they were just little ones...
Even with all the craziness on some days, I know soon enough I will have much too much time to myself...
Post a Comment