One of my fears after learning about Nathaniel's diagnosis was how I would respond to people's questions and comments about my pregnancy.
When are you due?
Do you know if it's a boy or girl?
Wow, three boys. You're going to have your hands full.
I feel like I have to mentally prep myself so I know what my response will be. It all depends on who asks me. When it was the lady doing my pedicure, I played along and answered all her questions. When I had my teeth cleaned the other day. My dentist asked when I was due. I told her September. Then she asked me how things were going. I tried to say good , but I started to tear up. I don't know why I couldn't lie. I ended up telling her that our baby wasn't expected to live. Of course that kind of news makes everyone feel really awkward.
Earlier this week I saw my dermatologist who I see every three months. We usually chit chat. She knows I have two boys and she sees Kyle at every visit. She has a son the same age. At the appointment the same questions came up. I pretended everything was fine. No need to break down. No need to make everyone feel uncomfortable. I guess I'll postpone that until my next visit in three months.
Some days I wish I could wear a sign that says, "Our baby is due in September. It's a boy. His name is Nathaniel. We love him very much, but he may be in the arms of Jesus before he reaches our arms. You can ask me more questions, but be prepared for me to break down."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Andrea-Please stay strong. I know it is so hard, but I've been there. I am praying so hard for you that Nathaniel comes home. You are an amazingly strong person. I admire you-from one mom to another who went through this.
Andrea, God has blessed you with so much wisdom and strength.
Hugs & kisses
Brenda
My heart breaks with you. Know that many are praying for you every single day.
Hang in there Andrea. You just do/say what works for you for each situation. Don't worry about making anyone else uncomfortable. I think you'll probably find more compassion from others than discomfort.
I'm still available on Tuesday. Actually, I'm watching Shawn's boys that morning as well. My own little daycare...hmmm.
Post a Comment