Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cari

I met my friend Cari a little over three years ago. Initially we were drawn together because we had similar aged kids. Jacob and Cameron quickly became friends and as Kyle, Max and Ella got a little older, they started playing together too. I remember one of the first times I was at Cari's house and our boys were playing she said, "I don't want to be friends with another woman just because my son is friends with their child. I want to actually have things in common besides our children." I completely agreed and hoped our friendship would grow. Since that time a lot of things have happened in our lives and our friendship has grown.
Cari helped me through a very difficult time when Mel was deployed. She was always quick to invite me to join them for dinner, hang out on a weekend night or to take the kids for a few hours so I could have a break. A couple months after Mel returned home from Iraq, Cari was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was devastated for her. Having seen my mom battle breast cancer and now as a mother thinking back to what my mom must have gone through, it brought up a lot of emotions. Nobody should have to go through surgeries, radiation, chemotherapy and the uncertainty of healing. To see your close friend go through it is heart wrenching. Cari has such a great attitude and great sense of humor though, she really stood up to this cancer and took every treatment possible head on. Cari bounced back quickly from her treatments of chemotherapy and radiation and was soon back to her old self. I thought the challenges in our lives would get back to our children or time management or whether we would get a part time job. This of course wasn't how things went.
In April, Cari was the one who was with me when I learned there was a problem with my baby. She was also with me the following day when I learned he most likely wouldn't survive. Cari was at the hospital the night Nathaniel was born. She got to see him. I'm so glad I was able to share him with her. She was and continues to be a great support to me.
In August Cari learned that she had a tumor on her brain. The cancer had metastasized. She had surgery to remove it and has been having radiation to remove any remaining cancer cells. Two weeks ago she learned that the cancer is also in her spinal fluid and now spine. My heart is so heavy. It aches with the pain I feel for her.
She is an amazing woman. She won't admit it, but she is. Her faith has grown through this horrible cancer. God is doing amazing things through her and with her as she's putting her complete trust in Him. I'm so thankful for her friendship and for God placing the two of us in just the right place at the right time to meet. He knew we would need each other and he knew that we would be more than just the moms of two boys who were friends.
Please continue to pray for her and her family as she battles this cancer. Cari's blog.

photo by Kathleen Smith

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Andrea...I am so sorry to hear about Cari. That is so horrible. I am still amazed by the strength and the faith and the positive attitude the two of you have...it's amazing. Although I only met her that one time at the hospital, my heart breaks for her...her blog brought tears to my eyes. My heart breaks for you as well...I just wish your heart could heal vs. continually getting crushed. I am here for you if you need anything please let me know. If you need me to take the boys so you can go be with Cari, just let me know. I love you and I will be thinking of you and Cari.

Love Always,
Your Niece, Linda

Anonymous said...

Oh Andrea. Oh Cari. I am so very very sorry. I will pray for you all.

Undomestic said...

Andrea, you are way too kind! Thanks so much for such a nice post about me. But you know that I was helped more by YOU when your husband was gone. It was great to have a friend to hang with when my husband was always working!

Anyhow, you're such an amazing friend, and I just thank you for that!