Friday, November 13, 2009

That darn southern drawl

Flame. That's what Kyle wanted us to call him. He wanted me to tell his teacher to call him Flame. At first I couldn't figure it out and I plainly told him that his name is Kyle and he can't change it to Flame. He was very distraught and said his teacher doesn't know his name and she calls him "Cow". I reassured him that his teacher knows his name is Kyle, but every day after school he would tell me again that he wants to change his name because his teacher keeps calling him Cow. What? It finally dawns on me that if you say Kyle with a very southern accent it comes out sounding like Kawl. And if you don't hear the L at the end, well, it does sound a lot like Cow. Poor kid. He didn't realize his teacher was saying Kyle. I explained to him that his teacher has an accent and her words sometimes sound different than how we would say them, but that they are the same words.
I feel so bad for not understanding sooner what he was telling me. This could have been the reason he was reluctant and nervous to go to school every morning. Ahh, glad it's cleared up now. He seems to understand and doesn't have any issues with it anymore.

2 comments:

sarah roo said...

Ah! That is so funny! My brother lives in the south now and I'm pretty sure his kids babbled with a drawal. :) Enjoy!

IrishMommy said...

love it! Y'all have so much adjusting to do... Who wouldda thunk it?