It's been cold here the last two weeks. Okay, not Minnesota cold, but cold enough that we need to wear our winter jackets, hats and gloves. It's been especially cold (19 degrees and windy) waiting at the bus stop in the morning. Kyle puts up a huge fuss about wearing a hat, but then complains about his head and face being cold. So I decided to take him to the sporting goods store and have him pick out a hat. He's usually better about wearing things if it's his choice. We walked into the store and had this conversation with the sales clerk.
"Where are your winter hats?"
"You mean toboggans?"
"Um, no."
"You mean baseball caps?"
"Uh, no. Winter hats."
"Oh, toboggans. Those are in the back on the left."
I've never heard a winter hat or stocking hat referred to as a toboggan. I guess it's a southern thing.
Unfortunately, the store didn't have any children's toboggans so we went home empty handed. However, Kyle did find something to wear from our stash of winter clothing at home.
The neighbor boy said he looks like a terrorist. I'm just happy he's agreed to wear something on his head on these cold mornings.
FYI- Toboggan is another word for a winter hat that is knitted. A toboggan is sometimes called a tuque as well. It is Southern American English and in 1837 during the Patriotes Rebellion wore a red toboggan which became a symbol of the French-Canadian nationalism.

2 comments:
Dude, and I thought it was a sled!
Wow! There was all kinds of learning there. Just for a hat! I miss you!
Post a Comment