Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Summer break is here

Today is day two of Jake and Kyle's summer vacation. Day one consisted of a lot of bickering and fighting over the computer and arguing and pestering each other. Today, I set some ground rules. We still had a lot of arguing and pestering, but overall it went better. First and most important I set a daily video game limit (includes computer games, DS and Playstation) and got out a timer. Second, the boys each will do 15-20 minutes of "home school" each morning before going outside or playing. Today I worked with Kyle on his speech worksheets and Jake did Math problems. In addition, they both will read (or be read to) 30 minutes each day. I'm hopeful that if we can keep it up we can eliminate some of the knowledge loss Jake seems to experience every summer. Plus it's only 45 minutes. Very doable. Oh yeah, and I told a little white lie to help get them to comply. I told them that at military schools, the teachers expect the parents to home school during the summer. No harm in that, right?

Next week we start swim lessons and the following week Jake has football camp. I think keeping them busy and active will be the best way to keep them from pestering each other out of boredom.

Ahhhhh, summer fun has begun. ;)

3 comments:

sarah roo said...

It's been 5 days. How's the homework and reading schedule going? I'd love to do something like that, too. The bickering seems constant here. And school's not even out yet!

Andrea said...

It worked well the first couple days. Now I'm trying to do it in the afternoons because we have swimming at 9:00 in the mornings. Plus it's too hot outside to play after lunch. Most of the neighborhood kids come out around dinnertime to play anyway.

IrishMommy said...

You are my hero! Kuddos to you being such a wonderful mother.... I miss you so much.