Fast forward to yesterday. The official testing out of the skates at the Eagan Civic Arena. All four of us were going to give skating a go until Mel realized they only rented adult figure skates and there was no way he was going to put those on his feet. So now it was just me and two boys who've NEVER skated. We all get on the ice and it's a disaster to say the least. We made it about 6 feet onto the ice and both boys are on their butts. Neither of them can even stand in place without me holding them up. I get one up and the other falls down. It's literally arms and legs flailing in every direction. By this point Jacob is in hysterical tears. He wants nothing to do with skating so I help him off the ice. I get back to Kyle and try to help him but after skating about 10 feet he wants off the ice too.
So Mel is off with the kids eating hot dogs, soft pretzels and hot cocoa and I decide at least one of us is skating today! After about 15 minutes of skating, I join the boys to see if either of them are ready to tackle the ice again. Kyle is way too in to his hot dog to care and Jacob assures us he's done. After a serious pep talk (and bribe) Jacob agrees to go around the ice one time.
When it was just he and I on the ice, it was much easier to help him and give him pointers and by the time we were half way around the rink he was smiling and happy. I think he was shocked that he could actually stay on his feet (with a lot of help from me, but none the less.) We successfully made it around the rink and he wanted to keep going...and going...and going. I think we went around at least eight times and each lap he got more confident and more steady. When we finally decided we'd had enough skating, Jacob was beaming with excitement. I have to honestly say that this was one of the prouder moments for Mel and I. For Jacob to go from utter frustration and work through it and turn it around was so great to see.
Now Kyle on the other hand didn't give it a second chance. However when I asked him today if he liked ice skating, he said "yes." So there may still be hope for him.
(Wish I would have gotten a picture the boys on skates, but my hands were a little full.)

1 comment:
Okay, I was cracking up that Mel would not wear those skates!
Post a Comment