Today I had my regular OB appointment. Everything looks good from a check up stand point. My weight is on track, blood pressure was good. We heard Nathaniel's heartbeat- 150 bpm. Previously it's been 156 but I think a fluctuation is normal. I'm 25 weeks pregnant today and my belly is measuring 27 1/2 weeks. My doctor isn't concerned at this point, but I can't help but wonder if I'm beginning to have more amniotic fluid than I should. Additional amniotic fluid is a side effect of Nathaniel's condition. The technical term is polyhydramnios which is more frequent with babies with fetal anomolies because they aren't able to swallow the amniotic fluid the way a healthy baby does. Like I said, my doctor isn't concerned right now, but it's in the back of my mind. If I do develop this condition I will become increasingly uncomfortable as the weeks go on and the risk for preterm labor also increases.
I spoke with our genetic counselor today. Mel and I decided to go ahead and do the amnio and genetic testing and now that we've decided, we realize our insurance may not cover it or only cover a portion of it. Very frustrating, but I'm trying not to worry about it until I have to. We'll know for sure early next week. Is it wrong to ask for prayer that our insurance will cover this testing? On a side note, I also learned today that if the genetic testing is covered by insurance it will only be covered while Nathaniel is alive. We originally thought we'd wait until he was born to do the genetic testing, but if he passes away the expense will be totally out of pocket. Ahhh, gotta love the insurance companies.
Friday, May 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'll pray for the insurance to cover the costs. Definitely. I keep talking to God for you.
Thanks for coming out last night. It was good to just sit and talk, without any kid interruptions!
If you're concerned about any OB stuff, and want to run something by Melvin, feel free to call.
Praying for you continually.
Post a Comment