Some of you have heard my story about the barn swallows that tried to build their nest above our front window last summer. For those who haven't, let me just start by saying I like birds. I love to hear them sing in the morning, I like to watch them fly, etc. What I don't like is mean birds that fly and swoop at your head. Barn swallows are very feisty and aggressive. Therefore, I don't like for them. Last summer we had a whole colony of them trying to build a nest above our window. I didn't think much of it and let them continue their building for a few days. It was fun to watch them. Then the birds started getting mean. They would perch on the railing of the front door "protecting" their new home. When the kids would play in the driveway, the birds would squawk and swoop down to shoo us away. I finally decided the half built nest had to go so I took the garden hose and started spraying it away. Thankfully the birds were away at the time (otherwise they would have been flying at my head). Jacob wanted to help out so I gave him the hose. I got distracted and went in the house for a minute. Next thing I know, Jacob is screaming for me and he's huddled on the front step. I come out to see the angry birds have returned and are flying and squawking above Jacob. I quick grabbed him and pull him in the house. When the fear finally left him we both burst out laughing.
So that's are experience with barn swallows. I don't like them. I don't want them in my yard or nesting anywhere nearby. Unfortunately, they've returned again this year. Here's a video I took a few days ago.
Wednesday, June 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That's really interesting! I have a bird's nest on the lamp by my front door. I never thought that the birds might be mean!! So far they haven't attacked us. Now you've got me thinking!
Post a Comment