Thursday, August 21, 2008

It's official. I lost it and Kyle took it.

Two days ago I said to Kyle in exasperation after he was giving me a difficult time at the dinner table, "Are you trying to make me lose my mind?"
He smiled and said, "Yes, mommy. I'm going to take it and your maginashum (imagination) too."

Yesterday, I hopped in the car to run some errands and realized I'd taken out my contacts and didn't have my glasses in the car. Not smart. Then later at the grocery store after loading up my cart and making it through the check out, I realized I didn't have my wallet with me. How embarrassing. Maybe Kyle really has taken my mind.

In actuality, I know that my mind is just really distracted. I can't stop thinking about things. I'm thinking about my friend Cari who's having brain surgery tomorrow to remove a tumor. I'm thinking about Melinda and Sam and their babies. I'm thinking about Nathaniel. I'm thinking about why these things happen and how the course of our lives can change in an instant.

I've been thinking for the last few days of what to write about. Nothing seems right. My blog was intended to chronicle the funny stories of the boys as they grow up, but lately it's been the bigger things that consume my thoughts. I need to remind myself of the little things in life that keep us moving forward.

Some of my favorite little things:
Hearing the boys' laughter
Listening to Kyle sing when he doesn't know I'm listening
Peaceful family dinners
Taking the boys to new places and seeing their excitement
When the boys are loving and sweet to each other
Hearing "I love you" from Jacob and Kyle
Watching the boys accomplish something they've been working hard at
Seeing the boys' excitement when Dad comes home from work
Watching the boys sleep

2 comments:

Undomestic said...

Can I just tell you...you're awesome!

Can't wait for our getaway. We all so need it!

Anonymous said...

Those are some beautiful comments about the "good" things in life. Let us not be consumed by the irritations in our lives but be thankful for all the "blessings" This is my constant reminder when I loose it with my girls. I am grateful, and thankful. I think you are doing a great job and its ok that your brain is full. Its a beautiful brain.
Take care
Brenda