Sunday, October 26, 2008

My New Born Baby by Jake


Jacob wrote a story at school last month that he titled My New Born Baby. I was really curious what he wrote. I wondered what his perspective was on the whole experience and hoped it would give me some insight as to how he was "coping" with the loss of his baby brother. I was a little surprised when I read the story.

My New Born Baby
by Jake 9-30-2008
I was playing Star Wars with my friend Cameron. After we were done with playing Star Wars we played in the woods. I found a secret hideout but it had too many branches. We can break the branches but the wood was too thick so we went to the secret hideout.
The end.

You see, I dropped Jacob and Kyle off at Cameron's house in the morning when I went to the hospital. I didn't know at the time if Nathaniel would be born that day and that's what I told the kids. They had a great day of playing with their friends without a care at all about what was going on at the hospital. Later that evening, Cari brought them up to the hospital to meet their brother. They remember seeing Nathaniel and holding and kissing him and I know that Jacob will always hold that memory. Even though his story isn't what I thought it would be or about his baby brother at all, it's his perspective. The perspective of a six year old. And his illustration on the cover is priceless to me. This is the first and only time he's drawn our family with all five of us.

4 comments:

IrishMommy said...

Great story Jacob! I love that everyone is so tall...

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet. Keep that picture forever. You can frame it!

Undomestic said...

How precious. I'm glad he made such a great picture for you.

Anonymous said...

I love hearing things from a kid perspective. That was really sweet.