Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Move update

The drive down to Georgia was long, but good. We didn't do any "fun" stops because we were all so anxious to get down here. The boys did great in the car. I can't even guess how many movies they watched, but it was worth it.! The drive south of Nashville was really pretty. We were tempted to stop at an overlook in the mountains, but it was getting dark and we wanted to drive a little bit further that evening. Nashville was about the place where both boys noticed we were in "the south." Our waitress at a restaurant kept asking if "y'all would like more of this or that." Jacob thought it was pretty funny. Then in the car after that stop Kyle said, "I wonder what color skin my new friends will have? Maybe tan, maybe brown, maybe light." I love his innocence. If only all of the world could embrace that.
We got down to Fort Benning Sunday afternoon. The boys were very excited exploring their new house. We spent the day unpacking the essentials, setting up beds, and grocery shopping. Mel showed us around a little that day and then we all enjoyed a good night's sleep.

Monday we visited the kid's school. Kyle's in Pre-K at the same elementary school as Jake. He'll be going 5 half days a week. We learned the kids needed a few shots before starting school so we went to the clinic on Tuesday for shots. Kyle needed 4! He had to get all the shots that MN requires before Kindergarten. Poor kid- he was NOT happy and he's still limping from the soreness.

Mel has the whole week off paid to "settle" his family so it's been nice having him here to help us unpack, find our way around and help get through the "paperwork process."

Wednesday the kids started school. Jacob did great. He admitted being nervous, but was confident and had a good day and met new friends. Kyle was really nervous and clung to my leg when I tried to drop him off. I knew it would be difficult. The day before he flat out told me he wasn't going to school. In the end he did fine and tomorrow he rides the bus and does it on his own. I might struggle with that part.
So far we're enjoying our new adventure. We love our house. It's spacious and has tons of storage. We were really nervous about what we would get for housing. The new construction homes are really nice, but the older neighborhoods on post are very run down, have no garages and have little storage. We literally had no idea what we were getting when Mel arrived two weeks ago. We feel very fortunate to be living where we do. EXCEPT for the creepy, gross bug Mel found yesterday.

We can call housing to have them send out pest control once a month. I'll definitely be calling them soon if I see another one of those.

We can't complain about the weather though. Today was 77 and sunny. I can get used to this.

5 comments:

IrishMommy said...

So excited to hear your update. So jealous of the wonderful weather. Boys in school, getting unpacked, getting to know your neighbors, checking out new restaurants... oh, so much to do. I MISS YOU!

sarah roo said...

1st - the bug. HOLY CRAP! How big was that thing?? Yuck-o!

Now on to other things: So glad your new house is nice with lots of storage. I wonder what that would be like? It's great that Mel can be there with you for a few days. You deserve that.

I'm glad the boys did so well in school. It's hard starting all over again. Even if it's at the same school the next year!

You sound great. Of course. Andrea, I think you can do anything.

I'm still sad when I drive past your house. :( I wish I could have said good bye in person. Yes, I will get over it!

Thanks for posting pictures. I can't wait to see more!

Andrea said...

The bug was only like an inch and a half but it had two big stingers coming out the back.
Mel carried a box in from the garage and it went running across the floor so technically it came from the garage, not inside our house. It still gives me the willies thinking of it.

Shannon said...

Yah! Glad to hear you are feeling blessed with your house, and that the trip down was good. Enjoy the weather while all of us back in MN deal with the rollercoaster of a weather ride we've been on. Love the updates, keep the pictures coming!

Angela's Kitchen said...

Oh, my - that bug is NASTY, but kinda cool in a weird way. I bet the boys liked it... blah...

I am glad Mel gets to be with you this first week. That is so great! And I am totally jealous of the weather. Today is about 53 here but rain, rain, rain... I am thinking I am skipping a walk today.

I wonder when y'all will start sounding like you are from the South? ;o) Miss you!